One of music’s biggest (and loudest) publications has an opportunity that could change the life of one dedicated creative.
The music publication battleground has seen its share of casualties in recent years. Magazines that were once available on newsstands everywhere have ceased publication altogether, and others that were on the rise folded before reaching the mainstream. Those that continue to thrive do so because they’re always planning ahead, and few (if any) brands in music are doing that better than Kerrang!
Right now, our friends at Kerrang! are seeking an Editorial intern to join their team in New York. For information on how to apply, as well as the desired skills of applicants, read on:
Kerrang! is the longest-standing rock and heavy metal publication in the UK, and part of the Wasted Talent Media publishing group. We’re looking for a proactive, highly-organized, enthusiastic Editorial Intern to join Kerrang!’s U.S. team based in Brooklyn, New York.
Our Editorial Intern will be assisting our U.S. editorial team with audience growth and the editorial direction of Kerrang.com. Hours are flexible, but a two-day-per-week in-office minimum commitment is required. This is an unpaid internship, but a stipend for travel and meals will be offered. Selected individual may be considered for a long-term paid position, but one is not guaranteed. What can be assured is a priceless education in music journalism, and the opportunity to meet dozens of rock musicians and industry leaders.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
-Writing breaking news articles for Kerrang.com
-Maintaining Kerrang!’s presence on social media with daily posts / promo
-Generating editorial ideas and contributing feature articles when possible
-Gathering assets for news and feature articles (image / video / text, etc.)
-Actively participating in NYC’s rock and metal scene
-Staying in touch with the latest rock and metal news / releases, etc. and keeping our team abreast of trends and bands worth knowing
What are we looking for?
– Has a passion for hard rock and heavy metal
– Strong writing skills (good grammar / spelling a MUST!)
– Works effectively under pressure with a keen eye for detail
– Great communication skills, with an ability to build meaningful relationships
– Proactive self-starter with personal motivation to perform at the height of capabilities
– Highly skilled at social media, knowledge of all major platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
– Photo-editing skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) are a BIG plus
– A great sense of humor (after all, it’s only rock music!)
- College students are welcome (school credit may be possible!)
- The office is located in East Williamsburg / Bushwick
- Candidate must be based in the New York City area
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.